Fort Worth Bicycle Accident Lawyer, Serving All of North Texas
Bicycling is a favorite pastime, source of exercise, and means of transportation all across North Texas. But it also comes with its own inherent risks. Vehicles and bicycle collisions are, unfortunately, very common in Texas. In 2021, there were 2,266 bike-car crashes, resulting in 92 deaths, according to the Texas Department of Transportation. Currently, the Lone Star State ranks No. 32 in bicycle safety.
If you or someone you love has been seriously injured or killed in a bicycle accident in Fort Worth or the surrounding areas due to someone else’s negligence, it’s important to reach out to a Fort Worth bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. Fortunately, you are in the right place.
At Varghese Summersett Injury Law Group, our team of experienced personal injury lawyers has vast experience fighting for justice and compensation for bicycle accident victims and their families. In this article, we explain bicycle injuries, the process for recovering compensation in Texas, and how our law firm can help.
Don’t think you can afford a personal injury attorney? Hiring our team won’t require penny down. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means you won’t owe us anything until we recover compensation for you. If you don’t get paid, we don’t get paid.
What Should I Do If I’m Involved in a Bicycle Accident?
If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident, there are five important steps you should take to put yourself in a favorable position to pursue compensation through an insurance claim or lawsuit:
1. Seek medical attention if you or anyone else involved in the accident is injured. Even if you don’t think your injuries are serious, it’s important to get checked out by a doctor as soon as possible. Many bicycle injuries, especially if a vehicle was involved, are more problematic than they initially appear.
2. Call the police and file a report. The police report will be important in documenting the details of the accident and may be helpful in filing an insurance claim or a lawsuit.
3. If possible, take photos of the accident scene and gather contact information from any witnesses. The more information you have, the better, especially in the event of a legal dispute.
4. Avoid discussing the accident with the other party or their insurance company without first speaking with a personal injury lawyer. Whatever you do, don’t admit fault! A Fort Worth bicycle accident lawyer can guide you the process and help protect your legal rights.
5. Contact a Fort Worth bicycle accident lawyer ASAP. A bicycle accident lawyer will thoroughly investigate the accident, determine fault, handle negotiations with the insurance company and, if necessary, file a bicycle accident lawsuit.
What are Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents?
Bicycle accidents can be caused by a variety of reason, including but not limited to:
- Driver negligence, such as distracted driving or driving under the influence;
- Road hazards, such as potholes and debris on the road;
- Defective bicycle parts or equipment, including bikes, tires, and pedals;
- Poorly designed or maintained roads and bike paths;
- Cyclist error, such as failing to obey traffic laws or wearing inadequate safety equipment, such as a helmet;
- Weather conditions, such as rain, snow, or ice, that can make roads and bike paths slick and dangerous.
It’s important for both drivers and cyclists to exercise caution and follow the rules of the road to prevent accidents. Bicyclists are considered motorists and have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers.
What is the Diagnosis and Treatment of Bicycle Accident Injuries?
Bicycle injuries can have a lasting impact on the victim’s life. These injuries often require extensive medical treatment and may result in permanent disabilities. Common injuries resulting from bicycle accidents include traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, neck injuries, and severe fractures.
Prompt medical attention is critical for catastrophic injuries, and victims should seek medical treatment immediately. Treatment for catastrophic injuries may include surgery, physical therapy, and rehabilitation.
Why Is It Important to Determine Fault in a Bicycle Accident?
One of the first steps in recovering compensation is determining whom or what caused the crash. In some cases, it might be obvious who is at fault. But in other cases, it may not be clear – or there may be there might be multiple parties.
That’s where an experienced Fort Worth bicycle accident lawyer comes in.
Texas is an at-fault state, which means the person or entity that caused the accident can be held responsible. So, for example, if you were hit by a motorist who was texting and driving, that motorist would be liable for your damages.
That’s why its imperative to determine fault in bike accident cases. Hiring an experienced Fort Worth bicycle accident lawyer could mean the difference between getting a favorable settlement and receiving nothing.
A bicycle accident lawyer can help you understand your legal rights, gather evidence to prove fault, and hold the liable parties accountable for their actions.
What if I was Partly at Fault for the Bicycle Wreck?
Under Texas law, bicycle accident victims can still recover damages even if they were partly at fault. The amount of compensation you receive will be reduced by your percentage of fault.
For example, if you are found to be 20 percent responsible for the crash because you weren’t wearing a helmet, and the total value of your claim is $10,000, you would only recover $8,000.
It’s important to note that bicycle accident cases can be complicated. That’s why it’s so important to contact an experienced Fort Worth bicycle accident lawyer at the outset.
How Can a Fort Worth Bicycle Accident Lawyer Help?
A bicycle accident lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and responsibilities and fight for the just compensation you deserve. Your lawyer will conduct an in-depth investigation to determine who is liable, evaluate all sources of recovery, handle negotiations with the insurance company, and prepare a bicycle accident lawsuit if necessary.
Make no mistake, the insurance company is going to try and come out of this bicycle accident as cheaply as possible. That’s why it’s so important to have an experienced bicycle accident lawyer on your side who is familiar with the tactics used by insurance companies and who can protect you and fight for your future.
How Long Do I Have to File a Bicycle Accident Claim?
Under Section 16.003 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Texas is two years from the date of the accident. If you miss the two-year mark, you will be barred from filing a bicycle accident claim and recovering damages for your injuries. It’s important to act quickly. The sooner you file a claim the sooner you can recover compensation and start rebuilding your life.
What Type of Compensation Can I Recover from a Fort Worth Bicycle Accident?
Victims of bicycle accidents may be entitled to a variety of damages, including:
- Economic Damages: Medical expenses, including hospital bills, doctor visits, and medication; lost wages from missing work; property damage for the bicycle; and other out-of-pocket expenses.
- Non-Economic Damages: Pain and suffering; emotional distress.
- Punitive Damages: These damages may awarded to punish the wrongdoer for particularly egregious conduct.
What if I Can’t Afford a Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
At Varghese Summersett, we operate on a contingency fee basis, which means our clients don’t pay us anything up-front, there’s no cost for a consultation, and there is no legal fee until we win the case. This means that you can focus on your recovery while we handle the legal process.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, call Varghese Summersett today at (817) 207-4878 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.
Speak to an Experienced Fort Worth Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, the last people you probably want to deal with are insurance agents – who definitely don’t have your best interests in mind. At Varghese Summersett, we handle all of that for you. We do all the legwork, hold liable parties accountable for their actions, and get you the compensation you deserve so you can pick up the pieces of your life.
We have helped countless accident victims in Fort Worth and North Texas and we can help you too. Call 817-207-4878 (HURT) today for a free consultation with an experienced bicycle accident lawyer.